Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 61: Dynafit FAIL

Went up the south side of Lone Peak today with JD. We were restless and wanted to force our way up the south face, in spite of poor visibility and likely crappy conditions. While skinning around the second Hammongog, I slipped on some ice and slid backwards. My tail caught, I fell, and then my ski popped off. I heard a crack and assumed the worst.

It wasn't my knee...

Almost as bad, the toe piece of my binding broke at the right pivot point. Game over.

Or should I say game on? Not the greatest skier with one on each foot, one leg skiing was slightly challenging.



I could handle the flats, but anything steep resulted in post holing my way after brother JD.

The bindings are last year's Low Techs. I got them new 11 months ago. They've seen infrequent but demanding use. I wonder how Dynafit will respond to a warranty claim.

Close ups:



5 comments:

  1. Hopefully the warranty will cover that. You'd expect a $700 binding to last more than a few months of use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy,

    Glad to hear you're OK. The bindings shouldn't fail like that. You can go ahead and contact me at John.Milne@dynafit.com, I'll get you taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to John from Dynafit for standing behind the product. FWIW, I've skied my FT12s for three years without incident.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy skis in 3 weeks the vertical most people log in 3 years. The binding was fatigued from all the Gorilla skiing. I don't blame it.
    Plan to be back out with you soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. True to his word, John replaced the broken toe piece in a timely manner and I've never had another problem with dynafits. Should have posted this last winter.

    ReplyDelete